Thursday, January 19, 2012

Offended Or Convicted

It seems like social media has changed society. We now have instant access with just a click of the mouse. The good, the bad, and the ugly traveling along the information super highway. Unfortunately it is another dangerous gateway attacking the innocence of our children, but that is another post for another day.

Whether it's Facebook or Twitter, no matter where you are, you can know that Mary had a turkey sandwich for lunch. As with most advances in technology there is always good and bad. I am thankful to keep up with old Army friends from all around the country. I am not thankful to read filthy words. As a Christian I don't appreciate foul language at all, especially in a public forum. Aside from my faith I also consider it unprofessional and lazy. It is a quick way to emphasize a point without having to think or use any creativity.

Many times I am very encouraged when reading status updates. When someone shares how they made it through a trial, became a daddy, or returned safely from Iraq it does my heart good. I want to encourage others that way, but mostly I want to honor and please God. This makes me wonder if I am striving to be Christ-like and my words offend others should they go unsaid? Does this mean someone is offended or convicted? Is there a difference?

The Bible speaks about whatsoever are honest, just, and pure. We are told to think on these things. If our words fall in this category we should share, but share with the right attitude. We are instructed to preach the truth with love. That is not always easy to do. With that being said, we should never be ashamed of sharing our values. We should also not be surprised when the "world" is unaccepting. We know we will suffer persecution. In terms of eternity it is a small price to pay.

2 comments:

  1. Well said. I'm thanking God for you, and for the opportunity (through your blog) to get to know you better. You and your family are a true blessing and asset to our church. I feel impressed to recommend your blog to my blogging friends.

    ReplyDelete