Saturday, January 21, 2012

He Knew What He Was Doing

I'm sure twenty years ago I would have no idea I would be where I am today. Married with seven kids and fostering seven other children who have since moved on. Working as a union rep while my wife homeschools our kids. Driving a fifteen passenger van and teaching Sunday School. Are you kidding me? It still seems crazy today just thinking about. Such an unlikely set of events which adds up to where I am today.

I think back to how random it was that I ever met my wife. I had been working a series of odd jobs after returning to West Virginia from the military. I helped an upholstery shop one time for about three weeks to get caught up on some work, only to be let go when the workload lessened. The shop owner happened to mention my name over coffee to a friend who was a foreman for a glass company. I received a call and was offered a job on the spot. A year later, through a co-worker, I met my beautiful wife. We had little in common and were separated in age by seven years. She had only been out of school for a year. For two people with little in common we were instantly drawn to each other. I can remember talking for several hours that first night as if we knew each other for years. The following day she told her mother she met the guy she was going to marry. Amanda really enjoyed the "I told you so" when her mom later served as her maid of honor.

We faced a lot of challenges as a young married couple. God used a difficult event to get our attention. Our first daughter suffered a severe seizure lasting nearly thirty minutes. We were so close to losing her. It was out of nowhere. She had no history of medical issues and none since. I believe it was our wake up call. See, I was saved as a young child and always knew God expected more from me. Amanda was a new Christian at the time. We both grew up in church and knew it was where we needed to be.

I am so thankful God made us like-minded when it comes to our values. We always seem to be on the same page in our obedience to Him. We don't disagree about tithing or modesty issues. My weaknesses are her strengths and her weaknesses, which are few, are my strengths. We are a team in every sense. It seems very unlikely that we would have ever met, not to mention end up together today. Not to God though, He knew what He was doing.

3 comments:

  1. To God be the glory. Yes, God knows what He is doing. He opens doors and we have to be obedient. He is using you and your family for His glory. I am thankful that His plans for you included our Maranatha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes he does! And isn't it amazing when you come to realize this?! It kinda gives you a comforting feeling within.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read this again, I love it so much! You are such an awesome husband! I love you more than you know!

    ReplyDelete