Monday, January 23, 2012

The Need Is Great

I feel very blessed for the opportunity to serve as a foster parent. For nearly 6 years my wife and I have had fourteen different children in our home. Unfortunately, we said goodbye to many of these sweet kids. I have been amazed by the beautiful spirit each one possesses. Especially considering the severe abuse and neglect in their past. Most have been so grateful when they arrive just to have regular meals and someone who says I love you and will keep you safe. They begin to strive instantly once provided with opportunity and support previously missing. Obviously, some have more difficult needs that require individualized attention. If the truth be known, they have been more of a blessing to us than we have been to them.

Some placements have become permanent as with our twins, Christian and Samantha. I can remember my wife walking through the door the first time with those tiny six week old babies. We argued over who was going to stay home and love on the new additions and who was going to go pick up our other kids. I lost that battle and looking back I maintain a little bitterness. Through answered prayers, from an awesome God, they were adopted on July 18, 2008. Others have come and gone and took part of our hearts as they left. We are often told "I could never do foster care because it would so hard to let go after becoming attached". I will be honest in sharing that it is very difficult and painful. Our opinion has been that it is about the child first. Some were part  of our family a week and some over a year. Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing even knowing they would one day be gone. Every minute has been precious just knowing we got to be a small part of their young lives.

In West Virginia there are currently around 4,000 children in foster care. Nearly 1,000 are legally eligible for adoption. Many homes take in the maximum number of kids allowed and without these limitations would take more. There is a need for loving families to open their hearts. There is a need for Christians to allow Christ's kindness to flow through them, to care for those who need them most, to love outside of their biological family tree, and to change some one's life forever.

I am saddened as I look around and see all the potential. Those who think they are not capable or don't have enough time. From the empty nesters who could provide a strong foundation to the young family just getting started. It doesn't take someone who is perfect or you don't have to wait for that perfect time. Actually, the perfect time is now, just as the need is now. God will give you all the ability, wisdom, and resources you need. If there is one thing I know, He always honors commitment. I realize every day I don't have to be a foster parent, I get to. I consider my foster, adoptive, and biological children a true blessing.

WV Foster/Adoption Info.

National Info.

1 comment:

  1. Well stated. Maybe God will speak to hearts through this post. I don't think anyone else could have stated it better than you have, Jim. You and Amanda are such a giving and loving couple who allow God to use you in this way. I am still praying you will soon be the adoptive parents of John and Patricia also.

    ReplyDelete