Saturday, May 26, 2012

Some Gave All

Memorial Day has almost arrived. The public pools are open and you don't have to go far to smell a barbecue. Many kids are out of school. Vacations are starting and the weather is beautiful. Campfires, fireflies, and of course fireworks are common. The fellowship of family and friends makes this a great time to reconnect.

As wonderful as all these things are, I pray we take time to reflect on the purpose of Memorial Day. Let us honor and pay tribute to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice. The kind of sacrifice that allows us to enjoy the benefits of our freedom. We all know freedom isn't free. I was fortunate to not have to go to war during my military service. I can remember when I reported to my first duty station. So many soldiers just returned from Desert Storm the previous year. I could sit and listen to their stories for hours. I often wondered if I could be as brave as these heroes. One of these soldiers gave his life in Operation Iraqi Freedom when his vehicle was struck by a RPG. I have so much respect for those who have volunteered in the past decade. These men and women stepped up knowing they were very likely to see the battlefield. That says so much about their character.

The sacrifice of these outstanding service members reminds me of another price someone paid for me. It was a debt I owed and could not pay. It is the great sacrifice of Jesus Christ on Calvary. I can know him personally and with the acceptance of His gift my forever is changed.

Let's not forget, this weekend or ever, the ones who went in our place to protect the greatest country on earth. Pray for families who mom or dad never came home. As the flags are flown from our front porches we need to recognize it is not just decoration or the start of cookouts. It is about shed blood and those who gave all. May God bless the great United States of America and especially those who protect her.

No comments:

Post a Comment