Monday, May 7, 2012

More Than ABC's

May 8 is teacher appreciation day. We decided to honor my wife a few days early with some home-made cards, cake, and a gift. The small gesture does not describe the magnitude of our gratefullness. A homeschool mom has one of the most difficult jobs in the world. New challenges arise daily along the stress of disapproving family and friends.

Many times we take for granted the huge blessings of homeschool. A homeschool dad once told me academics was low on his priority list. That statement seemed really odd at the time. Today it makes a lot more sense. Is spelling, math, and science important? Absolutely! It's not nearly as important as the values and life lessons my kids learn daily. It is so much more than ABC's. It is the bond my children have with their mother through the commitment of her being there all day every day. What an awesome gift to give your kids, your time.

After three years I have seen so much growth in my family. I truly believe my daughters will become strong, loving mothers and wifes one day. I expect my boys will be kind Christian leaders. We pray this will be the case and we work hard expecting our dedication to be honored. So today I realize the time my children spend in their insulated atmosphere is about a lot more than learning to read. It is about being in an environment that is conducive to finding God's will for their life. It is about an eternal investment and changing our family tree for generations. It is of real value and I am grateful for our homeschool Mommy who is so willing and capable.

1 comment:

  1. Well stated, Jim. Amanda is one special mom, and I am sure that the support she receives from you is a great help to her. It makes all the difference in the world when both mom and dad support each other in the raising and training of their children. The two of you are so blessed to have such a relationship.

    ReplyDelete