Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Things Not Taught

In the past I wrote about a homeschool dad who told me academics were not a primary concern in his house. At the time, that was a very shocking statement to me. Back then I was not sold on the idea quite yet and to hear someone say reading, writing, and math was not the most important part of their school day really surprised me. Now that my family has homeschooled for three years I really understand the meaning behind such a statement. I know science and history are important, but I realize many things my kids need to succeed are not taught in most schools.

First and foremost is the need for a personal relationship with Christ followed by knowledge of absolute truth only found in the Bible. Preparing them spiritually to face a world growing more and more evil is paramount. Our childrens foundations are being formed every day. Are we preparing them adequately? There struggles are even more difficult than when we were young. Satan has more avenues to reach our kids.

Another principle I want my little ones to learn is in the area of personal finance. Most kids today completing college are already in debt with student loans. The culture today tells us we deserve the best houses and cars right now regardless of how much money we have. I want them to learn how to save and budget. If they fail to learn this principle it won't matter how good of a job they have.

I interview several potential apprentices in my job. It is amazing how unprepared most applicants are when they arrive. Many have no idea how to dress or present themselves. Although they may be very interested and even qualified for the job, their body language and speech say otherwise. I want my children to see the importance. I want them to understand they truly will get only one chance to make a first impression.

These are a few qualities I pray they learn and possess. A good background in these areas helps produce a confident young person more capable of facing the world and effectively serve God. There are many other areas in our children's life we plan to focus. My wife and I feel character traits are vital. If we teach them about kindness, backed up with what scripture states, they will grow to have it as a quality. These are all lessons not taught in most schools, and to be fair, it is not any school's responsibility. It would be great if they reinforced them, but we parents are to teach them. This makes homeschooling even more of a blessing. These skills and qualities can be incorporated throughout the school day. As parents, we should never take our charge lightly. The Lord expects our best and we are accountable for how we raise them.

No comments:

Post a Comment