Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Fathers Hope

This past week we attended a homeschool kindergarten graduation for my twins. It is sometimes difficult to accept my kids are quickly growing up. As there names were announced pictures of their school year scrolled across a large screen. This made me think about how much they have learned and how little time we have to impact their young lives. I began to consider my hopes and dreams for my children.

Many dads dream of their kids playing sports at a collegiate or professional level. They want them to graduate from popular universities and become doctors or lawyers. Parents often want to live out their dreams through the lives of their kids. As if to fill the voids from their own failures.

My world view of what I wish for my children has changed dramatically in the past 5 years. I have always wanted them to be happy and successful, but my ideas about success have changed. I learned the best place for them is the center of Gods will. I realize their lives will hold so much more value if they focus on eternal things.

Having 5 daughters I know the day is coming when young men will have interest in them. I will have my shotgun ready and waiting. On a serious note, I see no reason for my young daughters to date. Any courtship should be for the purpose of finding a husband and at 14 years of age they are not ready for marriage. If a boy wants to see my daughter he has one choice which is to come to church. She will be there at least 3 times a week. I pray my girls one day seek and find a husband who loves God more than he loves her. If he puts the Lord first I believe everything else will fall in line. I hope my girls will glorify God in all they do and understand how vital their roles as wife and mother can be.

I have many hopes for my 2 sons. I pray they will take serious their responsibility to lead from the front. They are both fully capable of someday shepherding their families in a Godly manner. I want them to highly value their wife and constantly attempt to improve and grow that relationship. They will hopefully stand in the gaps and be willing to die to protect their kids. I pray they have the staying power which helps them drive through the difficult times and always put family before career and hobbies. To do this they will clearly need a strong foundation consisting of a close daily walk with the Lord.

My expectations are different from the normal of the world. My kids will have to be noticeably different. They will face persecution if they choose to live a Christ-like life. I hope to instill in them persecution is a small price for the privilege of honoring God and having a strong family.

No comments:

Post a Comment