Friday, February 10, 2012

The Heart To Homeschool

I have not always been excited at the thought of my kids being homeschooled. My wife saw the value long before me. It always seemed to be something for kids that couldn't adjust to public school. I considered it an alternative that appealed to the hippy style family who always bucked the norm. I spent several months in prayer before I felt it was the right direction for our family. I finally ran out of excuses why anyone would be better to educate my children than their Christian, loving mother.

When I think back to my thought process in the beginning it helps me understand why others may initially be unsupportive of our decision. I have to realize they don't understand how much went into this decision. It easy to be frustrated. For some reason others sometimes see our decision to homeschool a form of judgement against their education choice. Many times individuals fail to realize it is a family choice. It is what we believe God expects from us.

Homeschool has been a challenging transition. Of course I am usually at work all day so my wife faces the majority of the challenge. Her days are not easy, but they are very rewarding. After a few years she is really beginning to see the fruit of her labor. It is an exciting time in our home. The kids are developing daily in all areas. We are beginning to see some creative talents surface.

These positive results naturally encourage us to advocate for homeschooling. There is always families on the fence about whether or not they should educate their kids in the home. Many moms would love to homeschool, but lack the confidence and/or family support. My wife really enjoys encouraging these mothers. They are all highly capable of teaching their children. As with my wife, they just need to trust God and go for it.

We fathers need to understand how important our role is as well. Our wives need our support and guidance. Our kids need to see it also. We need to thank the Lord these moms are willing to homeschool. They did not take the easiest path. I need so much improvement in this area. We should seek out ways to help. If it is a family decision to homeschool, then it is the fathers responsibility to ensure success. Everything rises and falls on leadership.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! Glad to hear your family is homeschooling. We do too but it is not just because we HAVE to since we are missionaries. We understand that the responsibility for our children's education and Christian upbringing lies with us. We would more than likely homeschool even if we lived in America. God bless your wife for being an encouragement to other Mothers who desire to homeschool their children.

    ReplyDelete